The CRF is jointly governed by Trinity College Dublin (TCD) and St. James’s Hospital. This partnership is designed to ensure that the CRF reaches its full potential as a clinical research facility. The Governance Board is composed of representatives from St. James’s Hospital Board and TCD and includes nominees from Wellcome and the HRB.
The CRF’s Operational Management Team is led by the Clinical Director, who reports to the CRF Governance Board about the activities and achievements of the CRF. The Operational Management Team includes the Associate Director, an Assistant Director of Nursing, a Research Pharmacist, a Programme Manager and a Quality and Regulatory Affairs Manager.
The CRF Governance Board is responsible for:
- Setting the overall strategic direction of the CRF, agreeing specific strategies and devolving implementation of such strategies to the CRF Clinical Director.
- Ensuring that the activities undertaken within the CRF are consistent with the “Approved Usages” are specified in the Wellcome Agreement as a broad range of high-quality peer-reviewed patient-orientated research and clinical investigations as approved by the Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC), conducted by appropriately qualified researchers and staff.
- Overseeing the orderly operation and function of the (SAC) and the CRF Operational Management Team, both of which report their activities to the CRF Governance Board.
- Appointing the SAC and ensuring that its composition is acceptable to Wellcome.
- Approving the CRF Clinical Governance and Risk Management plans
- Supervising and reviewing the general operation of the CRF.
- In conjunction with the SAC, reviewing the Clinical Director’s CRF plans and ensuring their timely implementation.
- Reviewing and agreeing the annual CRF Business Plan and Budget and ensuring sustainability over the medium and long term.
- Reviewing and authorising the issuing of reports and information to the Oversight Board of the Dublin Centre for Clinical Research
- Ensuring that the CRF is meeting its clinical research commitments as part of the Dublin Centre for Clinical Research Network and contributing to the national clinical research infrastructure.
- Promote the CRF as a hub for clinical research within both St James’s Hospital and Trinity College Dublin.
The Governance Board is composed of the following members:
- Head of TCD School of Medicine, Chair - Professor Paul Browne
- TCD Dean of Research - represented by Professor Martina Hennessy, Associate Dean of Research
- CEO of St. James’s Hospital - Mr. Lorcan Birthistle
- Up to two members nominated by the Head of the TCD School of Medicine - Professor Padraic Fallon and Professor Seamas Donnelly
- Up to two members nominated by the CEO of St. James’s Hospital - Professor Joe Keane and vacant
- Wellcome Trust nominee - Professor David Newby, University of Edinburgh
- Health Research Board nominee - Ms. Deirdre Smith
- A member external to TCD and SJH - Professor Patrick Murray, UCD